Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Help! My laptop is falling WAY below expectations

Ok, so I bought a laptop last year because, well, I pretty much had to. So I got one that could play games pretty well with a reasonable budget. I ended up getting a Dell Inspiron 9400/E1705 with the following specs:GeForce Go 7800Intel CoreDuo T2400 @ 1.83ghz1gb ram (2x512mb)I%26#39;m not sure how relevant the rest is, so I%26#39;ll stop there for now.Anyway, as I%26#39;ve used it, I%26#39;ve been having this feeling that it was underperforming (either that, or PC game development has become horribly unoptimized). So I did a fresh install yesterday and decided to download 3Dmark05 and the score was not so good.According to this site, I should be pulling around a 3800 in 3D05. I got a measily 2100! That%26#39;s like a 40% loss of potential! I%26#39;m using the latest drivers from laptopvideo2go.com and have the most recent version of DirectX9. My other hardware drivers are either the most recent or pretty close- nothing to excuse such a poor performance. Any ideas on what I can do to figure out how to get more performance out of this machine that should already be there? Help! My laptop is falling WAY below expectations
Dell sucks...no offense, but it's the truth...Help! My laptop is falling WAY below expectations
[QUOTE=''havokmaster'']Dell sucks...no offense, but it%26#39;s the truth...[/QUOTE]Wow. That%26#39;s extremely enlightened and helpful. Kudos.Seriously though, there could be bloatware that is restricting performance. Did you reformat to a clean install when you received the laptop? How often do you do cleanup/maintenance?
[QUOTE=''luamhtrad''][QUOTE=''havokmaster'']Dell sucks...no offense, but it%26#39;s the truth...[/QUOTE]Wow. That%26#39;s extremely enlightened and helpful. Kudos.Seriously though, there could be bloatware that is restricting performance. Did you reformat to a clean install when you received the laptop? How often do you do cleanup/maintenance?[/QUOTE]Well, I have the actual install disc (not just a restore disc), and there was only one piece of unwanted software on it whcih I removed, as well as some lousy videos. My hdd is fully defragmented as well.Yes, it was a fresh install...only did a quick format of the filesystem, but other than that, it%26#39;s brand new. Now that I think about it, there are a couple of drivers that I didn%26#39;t install for unimportant things such as the card-reader or whatever...but I really doubt that it%26#39;s going to do much. 
The only thing I can think of is getting the latest official drivers off the Dell website. If your current drivers are not WHQL certified or whatever, it might be causing problems with the synthetic benchmarks.
[QUOTE=''luamhtrad'']The only thing I can think of is getting the latest official drivers off the Dell website. If your current drivers are not WHQL certified or whatever, it might be causing problems with the synthetic benchmarks.[/QUOTE] Yeah, the ones I%26#39;m using aren%26#39;t. I think I%26#39;ll do one more fresh install tomorrow and have the newest drivers for everything ready to go. I found another person%26#39;s post on a different forum who almost has the same exact specs (and its%26#39; a Dell 9400) and he got great results, so I%26#39;m trying to emulate that to the best of my ability. If I%26#39;m back here complaining tomorrow, you can guess that things didn%26#39;t go so well. :P 
[QUOTE=''Vampyronight'']Yeah, the ones I%26#39;m using aren%26#39;t. I think I%26#39;ll do one more fresh install tomorrow and have the newest drivers for everything ready to go. I found another person%26#39;s post on a different forum who almost has the same exact specs (and its%26#39; a Dell 9400) and he got great results, so I%26#39;m trying to emulate that to the best of my ability. If I%26#39;m back here complaining tomorrow, you can guess that things didn%26#39;t go so well. :P [/QUOTE]Good luck. I hope you get it worked out.
First of all you only have 1 GB of RAM.  Second you bought a Dell.
[QUOTE=''mobius1aic'']First of all you only have 1 GB of RAM. Second you bought a Dell.[/QUOTE]



Dell suck :P
[QUOTE=''mobius1aic'']First of all you only have 1 GB of RAM.  Second you bought a Dell.[/QUOTE]First of all you have a crappy monitor. Second you bought an AMD.
Don%26#39;t expect that laptop to run circles around today%26#39;s games.. a geforce 7800go is roughly equal to a 7600gt (I think, prove me wrong if you can :) ) 1 GB RAM isn%26#39;t great either, but that wouldn%26#39;t be as big of a deal on 3dmark.
[QUOTE=''Baselerd'']Don%26#39;t expect that laptop to run circles around today%26#39;s games.. a geforce 7800go is roughly equal to a 7600gt (I think, prove me wrong if you can :) ) 1 GB RAM isn%26#39;t great either, but that wouldn%26#39;t be as big of a deal on 3dmark.[/QUOTE]The 7600GT has less pipes and memory interface but higher clocks. They are ''roughly'' equal.To the OP: if you have $600 lying around, you can upgrade to 2GB RAM and a 7950GTX.
[QUOTE=''havokmaster''][QUOTE=''mobius1aic'']First of all you only have 1 GB of RAM. Second you bought a Dell.[/QUOTE] Dell suck :P[/QUOTE]clearly thats why most hardware reviewers rate the Dell laptops one of the top in its field when it comes to performance in games...:roll:
[QUOTE=''luamhtrad''][QUOTE=''mobius1aic'']First of all you only have 1 GB of RAM.  Second you bought a Dell.[/QUOTE]First of all you have a crappy monitor. Second you bought an AMD.[/QUOTE]



Dont hate on AMD...
An AMD processor isn%26#39;t bad by any means, just intel ones are better atm. But you could hardly condsider that a downfall of his pc.
Sorry if Im mistaken (I didnt look at the site that closely), but there is no specification of processor, RAM etc on there-only GPU. They may be specifying 3800 in 3DMark with a quicker processor and 2GB of RAM for example.
[QUOTE=''Baselerd'']An AMD processor isn%26#39;t bad by any means, just intel ones are better atm. But you could hardly condsider that a downfall of his pc.[/QUOTE]Neither is the fact that the OP bought a Dell. 
Well, I%26#39;m about to do a reformat (just backing up some files).I know that site doesn%26#39;t tell you the test configuration, but I found this guy%26#39;s post on another forum with almost the same exact setup (the only difference is his CPU is at 2ghz and mine%26#39;s at 1.83ghz.) Everything else is exactly the same.[url]http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1021645%26pp=20[/url]His numbers at the stock speeds are even better than the one on the original site.As far as the negative comments about Dell- just shut up, please. I came here for help, not to listen to your diatribe. Honestly, I moved from the US to China. I couldn%26#39;t take a freakin%26#39; desktop with me. I know it%26#39;s cheaper and much better to build my own, but it simply wasn%26#39;t possible. So unless one of you guys that just can%26#39;t stop talking about Dell wants to tell me how I can easily and cheaply transport a fully-featured desktop half way around the world, please just stop posting in here. If you can do that, I%26#39;ll sell this laptop this summer and do that. Really...
Good news (I suppose). I think I%26#39;ve discovered the problem.My GPU is getting too hot. My PC had been on for more than a day when I ran it the first time. I let it cool down, turned it back on, ran 3Dmark again and broke 4000!However, now I want to solve the problem. When I checked before, the GPU was at 83C when I first ran it. The default setting is at 93C, it should turn down the clock speeds. The problem is, very quickly, the GPU gets warm again. I%26#39;ve been on the computer this time (let it cool down again) for maybe 5-8 minutes and it jumped to 79C.So what are my options to keep my GPU cool in a laptop? 
My monitor is actually quite a beast as it%26#39;s a Samsung 906BW

It%26#39;s 19''

Has a perfect resolution for my 8800GTS at 1440 x 900

A 2000:1 contrast ratio

And freaking amazingly awesome 2 millisec refresh time

And at $239.99, it%26#39;s an amazing monitor at an amazing price. 

Not to mention it%26#39;s sexy as hell looking with it%26#39;s piano finish.

Oh and on my AMD processor, it%26#39;s a great processor and so far it%26#39;s performed beyond expectations.  I go AMD because I am a fanboy, and I want to see AMD do well as Intel needs a competitor.  That and then I have my other reasons........  While Dells are decent computers, I think there are better laptops and desktops out there from manufacturers, and God those Dell employees pissed me off too.......
  • the bees
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment