Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Upgrade from 3700+ to X2 3800+?

What do you guys think?  I want to upgrade to a dual core CPU to meet recommended Crysis requirements for when the game comes out, and S939 CPU%26#39;s are becoming pretty hard to find.  I currently have a 3700+ @ 2.7 GHz, and I can get an X2 3800+ for $90 CDN.Or should I hold out and hope I can find a used X2 4200+ or 4400+?  I%26#39;m leaning towards getting the 3800+ considering how cheap it is.Upgrade from 3700+ to X2 3800+?
I say hold out if you can, Crysis won%26#39;t be here until September ^^Upgrade from 3700+ to X2 3800+?
Yeah I was pondering that too, but I may not be able to even purchase a new S939 CPU by then :)  In fact out of all the good stores in my area, there was only one that had X2 939%26#39;s, and they ONLY have a 3800+.
I think that is a bad move man....only about a 200mhz gain which is worthless....being it that its a dual core really isnt going to make a huge difference anyways...I would say hold out and look for an opty or an fx-60 dual core or start saving for a core 2 duo
[QUOTE=''Hairston630'']I think that is a bad move man....only about a 200mhz gain which is worthless....being it that its a dual core really isnt going to make a huge difference anyways...I would say hold out and look for an opty or an fx-60 dual core or start saving for a core 2 duo[/QUOTE]but with a core 2 duo he needs new mobo,new ram etc etc 
I would do it, but go for a x2 4400+ if you can (they have extra cache), for not that much more. They%26#39;re kind of rare now though.
I%26#39;m in pretty much the same boat as you, although I only have a 3500+. I myself am waiting for the end of the year when AMD%26#39;s new chips should be coming out. And by then I hope to have enough money saved to build a new system be it Intel or AMD.
[QUOTE=''Baselerd'']I would do it, but go for a x2 4400+ if you can (they have extra cache), for not that much more. They%26#39;re kind of rare now though.[/QUOTE] Yeah, this is the CPU I am really looking for, but it was discontinued before the S939 lineup was discontinued, so I%26#39;m having a very difficult time finding it.
[QUOTE=''Hairston630'']I think that is a bad move man....only about a 200mhz gain which is worthless....being it that its a dual core really isnt going to make a huge difference anyways...I would say hold out and look for an opty or an fx-60 dual core or start saving for a core 2 duo[/QUOTE] Would a dual-core Opteron be that much of a difference?  They are still more readily available in S939, though I don%26#39;t know as much about them.  So I have more options if I decide to go Opty.
They%26#39;re great at OC%26#39;ing, but aren%26#39;t really meant for desktop computing.
[QUOTE=''MyopicCanadian''] [QUOTE=''Hairston630'']I think that is a bad move man....only about a 200mhz gain which is worthless....being it that its a dual core really isnt going to make a huge difference anyways...I would say hold out and look for an opty or an fx-60 dual core or start saving for a core 2 duo[/QUOTE] Would a dual-core Opteron be that much of a difference?  They are still more readily available in S939, though I don%26#39;t know as much about them.  So I have more options if I decide to go Opty.[/QUOTE]Yeah, go for it. I have a socket 939 Opteron 185 (dual core 2.6GHz, 2MB cache) overclocked to 3.0GHz and sitting on a standard Athlon 64 mobo. It%26#39;s been a wonderful setup. The best part about it is that I got it off eBay for around $400 at a time when retailers were selling them for $700ish. :)
[QUOTE=''My_name_a_Borat''][QUOTE=''MyopicCanadian''] [QUOTE=''Hairston630'']I think that is a bad move man....only about a 200mhz gain which is worthless....being it that its a dual core really isnt going to make a huge difference anyways...I would say hold out and look for an opty or an fx-60 dual core or start saving for a core 2 duo[/QUOTE] Would a dual-core Opteron be that much of a difference?  They are still more readily available in S939, though I don%26#39;t know as much about them.  So I have more options if I decide to go Opty.[/QUOTE]Yeah, go for it. I have a socket 939 Opteron 185 (dual core 2.6GHz, 2MB cache) overclocked to 3.0GHz and sitting in a standard Athlon 64 mobo. It%26#39;s been a wonderful setup. The best part about it is that I got it off eBay for around $400 at a time when retailers were selling them for $700ish. :)[/QUOTE] Nice signature, if you made it yourself.
[QUOTE=''ATLReppa770''][QUOTE=''My_name_a_Borat''][QUOTE=''MyopicCanadian''] [QUOTE=''Hairston630'']I think that is a bad move man....only about a 200mhz gain which is worthless....being it that its a dual core really isnt going to make a huge difference anyways...I would say hold out and look for an opty or an fx-60 dual core or start saving for a core 2 duo[/QUOTE] Would a dual-core Opteron be that much of a difference?  They are still more readily available in S939, though I don%26#39;t know as much about them.  So I have more options if I decide to go Opty.[/QUOTE]Yeah, go for it. I have a socket 939 Opteron 185 (dual core 2.6GHz, 2MB cache) overclocked to 3.0GHz and sitting in a standard Athlon 64 mobo. It%26#39;s been a wonderful setup. The best part about it is that I got it off eBay for around $400 at a time when retailers were selling them for $700ish. :)[/QUOTE] Nice signature, if you made it yourself.[/QUOTE]Thanks. Of course I made it myself. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment